- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup melted butter or oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated preferred!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, nuts (or raisins) and spices.
3. Combine the pumpkin, melted butter (or oil) and eggs together in small bowl.
4. Add to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
5. Pour into a well-buttered 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
6. Bake in the centre of oven for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester poked in the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then turn out of the pan to cool on a rack.
Yield: Makes one loaf (recipe can be doubled if desired).