These are wheat and gluten free. They can also be made completely vegan if preferred by using vegetable or coconut oil instead of buttter and using a flax binding solution instead of the eggs. They have a lovely texture and taste delicious! I use all organic ingredients.
Muffins / Scones made with Almond Flour
Preheat oven to 350F (190C)
Dry ingredients – combine in medium bowl:
- 1-1/3 cups finely ground raw almonds* + 2/3 cup finely ground raw sunflower seeds
2 cups finely ground raw almonds*
- 1/3 cup ground golden flax seed ***
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar (brown, maple, coconut, or agave syrup)
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants
Wet ingredients – combine in small bowl:
- 2 eggs or flax binding mixture**
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil, or other healthy oil (grapeseed, sunflower) or any combo thereof
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Spoon into paper lined muffin tin. Makes 10. (If desired, add a couple of tablespoons of water to each of the two empty remaining muffin cups to avoid warping the pan.)
Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Move to cooling rack. Eat as is or with clotted cream and jam!
** Flax binding mixture:
Simmer together 2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp water over low heat, let cool. Use to replace 2 eggs in baking.
* make your own almond flour using a nut/coffee grinder by grinding dry raw almonds as needed. If purchasing it pre-ground, and depending on where you live, it may be labelled “almond meal”, “finely ground almonds” or “almond flour”.
*** flax seed may be labelled linseed in the UK and other countries