Looking for a different way to eat cauliflower? Trying to cut back on carbs? Or just want something ricey that isn’t rice? Try this – it is delicious!
Cauliflower-“fried rice” recipe
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 spring onion (scallion)
- 1 egg
- Light olive oil (best olive oil for frying)
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
Oil amounts depend on how big the cauliflower is. I always think it best to go as sparingly as you can with oil.
1. Take the leaves off the cauliflower. Grate it (including the core) on the small holes of a box grater or use a food processor.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan. Stir-fry the grated cauliflower and spring onion for 2-3 minutes, adding some salt. Don’t let it brown. Then cover, lower heat to minimum and allow to steam for 4-5 minutes. This will cook the cauliflower and infuse the spring onion flavour into it.
3. Take the cover off and raise the heat. Clear a circle in the middle of the pan. Add a bit more oil, let it heat for a few seconds, crack the egg into it and scramble it loosely. Let the egg set about halfway, then start stir-frying vigorously to mix the egg in with everything else.
4. Lower the heat. Add sesame oil and stir. Then add soy sauce. Taste to balance.
** Note: This version is quite mild-tasting – if you are in a more adventurous mood you could also add a bit of chilli pepper at the end to liven it up.
VERSION 2 – which I didn’t make and I find the 3Tbsp of soya sauce to be a LOT of soya sauce and a lot of sodium, however if you are looking for one that tastes really Chinese I suspect this would be the ticket!
Cauliflower “fried rice” with veggies
- 750 ml (3 cups) of grated raw cauliflower (use a cheese grater or food processor)
- 25 ml (1/2 cup) frozen peas
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) carrots, thinly sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) onion, diced
- 7.5 ml (1/2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 2 eggs (or 4 egg whites) scrambled
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) soya sauce
1. In a large pan, sauté the garlic and onions in olive oil on medium high heat, until onions become soft and transparent. (about 2-3 minutes)
2. Next add in peas, and carrots and cook until carrots begin to soften and peas are heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Next stir in scrambled eggs , cauliflower and soya sauce. Cook stirring frequently for about 5-7 more minutes.
Enjoy adding in your favourite protein and veg. Possible add-ins: baby corn, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, water chestnuts, chicken, tofu, and/or shrimp!