Fast, delicious, nutritious – what’s not to love?
If you’ve not discovered Khorasan KAMUT® flour yet, I encourage you to give it a try.
A recently rediscovered whole grain flour that produces a delicate golden loaf, it is sure to become a favourite. This recipe is so healthy that I don’t even feel guilty about slathering it in butter! Bonus: it’s DELICIOUS!
Time: Lightening fast! (From start to in your tummy in just over an hour.)
Yield: makes 1 loaf
- 2 eggs (or two flax or chia eggs for vegan version+)
- ½ cup avocado oil, melted coconut oil, or olive oil
- ¼ cup organic agave syrup
- ¼ cup milk (for vegan version use oat, almond, rice or soya milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1¾ cups organic khorasan (KAMUT®) flour (I buy in bulk and freeze this gorgeous flour Doves Farm Organic Wholegrain Kamut Khorasan Flour 1 kg (Pack of 5)Doves Farm Organic Wholegrain Kamut Khorasan Flour 1 kg (Pack of 5)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, raisins or dried apricots, optional
- Preheat oven to 160C (325F).
- Generously butter a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs (or flax eggs), oil, agave syrup, milk and vanilla for 2 minutes. Stir in the bananas, flour mixture and optional add-ins if using.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool.
** About KAMUT khorasan flour:
KAMUT® Khorasan Grain is a trademarked type of khorasan grain or triticum turgidum, from Montana in North America. This type of wheat originated in an area called the Fertile Crescent, a region of land which spans from the present-day Jerusalem, through Syria, Lebanon and Iraq. It was in this lush valley that agriculture was thought to be first developed, and the khorasan grain was grown. The grain passed out of common knowledge until being rediscovered and a closed growing programme began.
KAMUT® is a protected species grown exclusively with organic farming methods and under tightly controlled conditions. The KAMUT® International Licensing agreement stipulates that the grain:
• Is the ancient khorasan variety of wheat
• Is grown only as a certified organic grain
• Has a protein range of 12 -18%
• Is 99% free of all contaminating varieties of modern wheat
• Is 98% free of all signs of diseases
• Contains between 400 and 1000 of ppb of selenium
The grain is a summer wheat which is not suited to the UK soil and climate conditions and grows in North America. The crop grows fairly tall and the kernel is large and bold. It has a very large, hump backed kernel.
KAMUT® khorasan flour is light gold in colour and is high in protein, making it perfect for use in pasta, bread and biscuits.
Doves Farm is the licensed UK supplier of KAMUT® khorasan brand grain.
Above information taken from Doves website